Monday 27 August 2012

Eden of the East - Bizarre anime series I love!

Ok, first off, Eden of the East is an awesome anime series that I've just discovered and wanted to share with you guys. However, I must prepare you straight off; very little of it makes actual sense. Watch the opening credits to see if you can understand what the hell is going on, because I sure don't still and that's after I've watched all 11 episodes!





However, this is also what I love about it. The basic premise kicks off with a missile attack on Japan, known as "Careless Monday, that seems to not affect anyone at the time. Three months later, a young girl called Saki Morimi meets a strange young man during her trip to Washington. He is completely naked, has lost his memory and only has on him a gun and a phone with billions of yen in digital cash.

From this point on, the whole thing gets even stranger but there's just something about it that kept me watching. At the end of every episode, I would literally have no idea what was going to happen next. The serial killer sub plot that comes and goes in about two or three episodes is a random but fascinating example of this, not to mention the hordes of naked people who crop up at random points. I think what keeps it all together though is the fantastic premise (which I would ruin by revealing too much about) and the extremely likeable main characters, Akira Takizawa and Saki Morimi.


It's hard to talk about how different and exciting Eden of the East is without spoiling the surprise of it so all I'm going to say is this; the animation is absolutely stunning, all the characters are bizarrely charming and I defy anyone to watch an episode and have even the slightest clue of what is going to happen next. It's definitely a show for those who are bored with more conventional TV and I recommend you watch a few episodes and give it a chance.  



Finally, for those who do decide to give it a try, you should also know that there are some follow up films that continue the plot. I haven't watched them yet but I've heard good things. Let me know what you think of it.


4 out of 5 random dogs with wings on (seriously cute but why the wings?)

No comments:

Post a Comment