Friday 31 August 2012

MTV VMAS: Best Performances of the Last Decade!


With performers as diverse as Rihanna, One Direction and Green Day taking the stage this year, the 2012 VMAs are shaping up to be one of the most exciting in years. This time of year always makes me nostalgic for the performances that I saw on MTV as I grew up so I wanted to share with you some of the best VMA performances since 2001. They're not ranked in any particular order but I do have my favourites of course. Let me know what you think with your comments at the bottom.

Adele - Someone Like You (2011)

Let's start with the standout performance of last year, which saw Adele crack the entire US market in the space of just five minutes. Most of the performances I love are busy and frantic with incredible set design but this song doesn't need any of that.  


Britney Spears - I'm A Slave 4 U (2001)

Next, I wanted to share one of my favourite performances of all time and it is certainly the most iconic on this list. Britney was already a global superstar when she debuted I'm A Slave 4 U but this performance with a certain reptile cemented her position in pop culture.




Jay-Z ft Alicia Keys - Empire State Of Mind (2009)

No one had heard this song before it was performed and often, it is hard to gauge how good a song is on first listen but no one had that problem with Empire State Of Mind. An instant classic by two of the best performers in hip-hop and RnB.


Kelly Clarkson - Since You've Been Gone (2005)

This song was a force unto itself upon its release and the energy of this performance just seems to jump out at the screen, making you want to jump and sing alongside Kelly.





Busta Rhymes, P Diddy, Usher, Ginuwine & Pharrell - Bad Boy For Life/I Need A Girl/Pass The Courvoisier (2002)

I just love the energy of this one, ending with all that crazy ass jumping. Whatever happened to Busta Rhymes?


Beyonce - Single Ladies (2009)

Although some of the singing is over the top at the beginning, Beyonce pulls it back with her now iconic dance moves. The spectacle of seeing her perform surrounded by all the other dancers is just jaw-dropping. Enjoy.


Madonna ft Britney, Christina & Missy - Like A Virgin/Hollywood/Work It (2003)

This is another of my personal favourites, featuring four of my favourite artists in one incredible mash up. The whole wedding theme is ridiculous but I love it. This performance ended up on the front page of every paper the next day but everyone seemed so focussed on Britney and Madonna kissing that they forgot Christina was there doing it too! Maybe its because she's so orange here.


Shakira ft Wyclef Jean - Hips Don't Lie (2006)

This is another one of those mammoth songs that was just everywhere when it came out. I could have picked any VMA performance by Shakira just because the way she dances and moves is stunning to look at. Her voice is also amazing of course but even with all the big hits she has had, I still feel Shakira is somewhat underrated.


Janet Jackson - Michael Jackson Tribute (2009)

What I love about this performance is the meaning behind it. Michael Jackson had just died and Janet's dancing is a heartfelt tribute to her brother, with some amazing interaction with the screen behind. It also reminded people that Janet is actually an incredible performer in her own right. I just wish she had been in it for longer.


Christina Aguilera - Genie In A Bottle 2.0/Keeps Getting Better (2008)

Genie In A Bottle is a classic song which many would argue should not be tampered with but I actually really like this version and Christina sings it great live as always. What's interesting is that Lady Gaga came out soon after this performance and initially, a lot of people claimed that she was copying Christina with her style but then it suddenly went the other way just a couple of years later. Fickle public.


Justin Timberlake - Like I Love You (2002)
 
Back in the day, the biggest artists used to premiere their new songs on the VMAs before they were leaked on the radio or to the internet, making performances like this even more exciting for the fans. This was also a big deal because it was Justin Timberlake's first performance as a solo artist and it quickly blew up into one of the biggest songs of that year.


Let's hope the 2012 VMAs produce some performances as memorable as these were!!! If you think I've missed out some classics from the past decade then let me know. Keep coming back to 'Be Careful! Your Hand!' for more updates on the 2012 VMAs.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment