Saturday 12 January 2013

Nuclear - The New Single From Destiny's Child


Beyonce Knowles. Kelly Rowland. Michelle Williams. I'm a huge fan of all their solo work but something special happens when this RnB supergroup come together as Destiny's Child. It's been over six years since the trio disbanded but now they're back with a new album called 'Love Songs', which will be released at the end of January.

Like probably every other fan out there, this news was crazy exciting for about two seconds and then I read that there would only be ONE new song included on the collection. The rest of the songs are a mix of romantic singles and album tracks from their entire body of work, including their days as a quartet. Some of the choices seem a little bit odd, including an album track called 'Heaven' from Kelly Rowland's debut solo album and two slightly average cuts from their first album as a group. Don't get me wrong though. There are some brilliant songs included on the collection, such as 'Now That's She Gone', 'If', and 'Temptation'. Here's the audio for 'Temptation', which was one of my favourite songs off the second album 'Writings On The Wall'.



"Sexy boy, you're so fly, I just might give you a try. I'ma write yo number in the palm of my hand. Oops I forgot I got a man."

But what about the new song 'Nuclear'? Well, I know I need to give it a few more listens as it could be a grower but right now, I'm not overly impressed. The mid-tempo track feels a bit like a left-over from the groups recording sessions for their last album 'Destiny Fulfilled'. Sure the harmonies are as great as ever and I love the name of the song but 'Nuclear' doesn't feel like a huge comeback single. I know that it doesn't have to necessarily, as its doubtful the group will reunite properly for a new album but it would have been nice to have heard something with a bit more attitude to it. Sure the album is supposed to be all about being romantic but what the fans really want is a new upbeat anthem in the vein of 'Survivor' or 'Lose My Breath', two of the best singles released by any RnB act in the past decade. I'm sure 'Nuclear' will grow on me but I can't help feeling somewhat disappointed. Maybe my expectations were just too high as I LOVE this group but see what you think by listening to the song below.



"We're nuclear, it's two here. There's nowhere left to run."

So what do you think? Is it the comeback you were looking for or are you a bit disappointed? Who sounds the best and does it make you hungry for more new material from the girls? Let me know what you think by liking, commenting and sharing below. 


No comments:

Post a Comment